1997 Z28 rebuild

Begonnen von mcgarnicle, 19. Okt 17, 17:06

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

mcgarnicle

Hello,

I have a separate thread for my 91 1LE, and I mentioned in that one my 97 Z28, but I thought I would make a separate thread for it.

So I bought this from a friend of mine in the Ansbach area.  It had an issue that the oil pressure would drop down very low once it was warmed up, but only at idle.  I could drive it around without issue as long as when I came to a stop I kept the RPMs above 1000.  I also bought it in the hopes that it was just a faulty gauge or sensor because the lifters stayed quiet, so I bought it on a gamble.

I was teaching an engine theory class at the time and let my students troubleshoot it.  We used a mechanical gauge and verified that the electric gauge was off by about 10 psi, and once warmed up would sit around 5 psi, which is not very impressive. 

So the first plan was to remove the engine and just replace the lower end bearings and the oil pump.  I was also considering the possibility that the cam bearings could have been severely worn also, and after spending 8 hours just to get the engine and transmission out of the car I decided I didn't want to do a half fix, and I certainly did not want to have to remove the engine a second time...

So I started the tear down and cleanup at my work in Hohenfels, and I took it down to a short block.  The short block then went to my garage at home where the cam and lifters were removed.  Then the rest was taken to Yankee motors where they disassembled it and measured everything.  The final verdict was that they didn't know why the oil pressure was low.  Everything had normal wear and nothing was excessive.  Our best guess was that the pressure relief valve in the oil pump was sticking open and causing low oil pressure.  So we decided to clean the block, install new cam bearings, and polish the crankshaft.  Because the engine did have some wear Yankee wouldn't put it back together, which I already knew, but still think that's kind of weird over here. 

I was recently teaching an engine rebuilding class in Vilseck so thought I would let the students measure out everything and reassemble the engine with me.  Everything went together very smoothly and the motor turned very easily by hand, we didn't even need to use a wrench until about the 7th cylinder went in.  Spent about 4 days finishing the rest of the reassembly and getting it ready to put back in the car.

I also have an assortment of cool guy stuff in my garage that is going to end up on this car.  Gonna start prepping the spoiler for paint this week.

I upgraded the brakes to the later 98-02 LS1 cars.  I went from 11.5" rotor with a single piston iron caliper to a 12" with dual piston aluminum caliper.  Pretty easy swap, the only difference is how the hard brake lines route to the rubber lines, nothing a little bending wont take care of.

Here it is yesterday on its first journey on its own to the car wash for its first bath in about 8 months.  It runs really good with good oil pressure and no leaks.  It wasn't fun to take apart and put back together, but once I finished it, boy it felt good, all the anger I had working on a 4th gen melted away as soon as I heard it run.

91 Z28 1LE

FlorianGee

Very cool, this forum could use more stories like this :thumb:

Keep us posted about your progress.
LSx

mcgarnicle

Zitat von: FlorianGee in 14. Nov 17, 23:46
Very cool, this forum could use more stories like this :thumb:

Keep us posted about your progress.

Thanks FlorianGee!  I was wondering if anyone was reading this  ;)

Not too much to report so far.  got it through inspection a couple weeks ago.  Had more to fix than I was expecting. 

All of the taillights were different levels of brightness and different bulbs did different things.  I bought a used harness from a 2000 Firebird since the 98+ cars used a better style socket and when I opened up the cargo area I saw that a previous owner had wired in some of the newer sockets, but not very well...But what was very strange was some extra wires that were run to the front of the car.  Apparently the front turn signal lights were being powered by the rear wiring.  Did some research and discovered that the day-time running lights module has a history of causing issues with the front turn signals.  I by-passed the module, hooked up the wiring the way it was originally and put in the new wiring harness for the taillights. 
But now a new problem.  For some reason the plug from the firebird harness did not have a brake light signal wire.  So I had to re-use the Camaro plug and re-purpose 2 of the taillight wires to be brake lights.

The next thing was the steering colum would move if you pulled on it.  I'm no stranger to the GM Saginaw steering column, but jeez do I hate working on them.  Like 99% of the airbag wheels the tilt steering pins had wornout.  I had owned a 92 RS with the same issue, and with that one I ended up using some JB weld to build up the pin material and then beat it into the column.  This time I decided to try a different fix.  On TGO someone had drilled a hole next to the pin and installed a flat screw into that hole to retain the pin in place.  It is better than it was, but not perfect, it passed inspection, but I'm going to go back into it and try something else.

Also during this time I painted and installed the SS spoiler.  It's an aftermarket piece so not the greatest fit, but it looks good and makes the car look more aggressive.  Looks a little weird with no hood scoop, but maybe I do something about that someday....

Also, please respond so I can get my 10 posts in and can start posting in the for sale forum :D :D  I have a lot of 3rd and 4th gen stuff I want to get rid of.

Cheers, Ken
91 Z28 1LE

FlorianGee

Ken, I hear you about these steering columns... every single one of the GM vehicles I owned had that "wobbly" column. But I never cared to fix it, that kind of belongs to a GM car  :ugly:  Kudos for your engagement to put that issue to rest.

Those Taillights on your Z28... very "european". You don't like the stock ones?
LSx

Sven

Stimmt. Diese Taillights mag ich auch nicht besonders. Gerade im Vergleich zu den Originalen der Early 4th Gen. Das Nacht Design dieser Taillights ist einfach geil. So geil, dass ich sie in meinem Coupe verbaut habe :) Ich denke die werden ihren Weg auch noch ins Convertible finden :D

BenZ28

Zitat von: mcgarnicle in 08. Dez 17, 18:51
The next thing was the steering colum would move if you pulled on it.  I'm no stranger to the GM Saginaw steering column, but jeez do I hate working on them.  Like 99% of the airbag wheels the tilt steering pins had wornout.  I had owned a 92 RS with the same issue, and with that one I ended up using some JB weld to build up the pin material and then beat it into the column.  This time I decided to try a different fix.  On TGO someone had drilled a hole next to the pin and installed a flat screw into that hole to retain the pin in place.  It is better than it was, but not perfect, it passed inspection, but I'm going to go back into it and try something else.

Maybe you should try one of these:
http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/GM/Pins/

Looks like this could help.  :)

mcgarnicle

Zitat von: FlorianGee in 08. Dez 17, 19:00
Ken, I hear you about these steering columns... every single one of the GM vehicles I owned had that "wobbly" column. But I never cared to fix it, that kind of belongs to a GM car  :ugly:  Kudos for your engagement to put that issue to rest.

Those Taillights on your Z28... very "european". You don't like the stock ones?

Zitat von: Sven in 09. Dez 17, 08:28
Stimmt. Diese Taillights mag ich auch nicht besonders. Gerade im Vergleich zu den Originalen der Early 4th Gen. Das Nacht Design dieser Taillights ist einfach geil. So geil, dass ich sie in meinem Coupe verbaut habe :) Ich denke die werden ihren Weg auch noch ins Convertible finden :D

Haha I don't mind them, but I've heard the same from others that don't like the Chinese Ebay taillights  :D
They came with the car and I don't mind them too much.  Maybe if I find a good used set for a good price I'll swap them  ;)

automatisch zusammengefuehrt

Zitat von: BenZ28 in 11. Dez 17, 12:37
Zitat von: mcgarnicle in 08. Dez 17, 18:51

Thanks Ben!  I'll order a couple of these and try them out  :thumb:
91 Z28 1LE

FlorianGee

Zitat von: mcgarnicle in 12. Dez 17, 14:07

Very interesting, I'm looking forward to your review :)
LSx

mcgarnicle

So a little update:

Another step closer to finishing this thing :) Drivetrain is good, now the interior is decent, and still debating on whether I want to do some of the body work or not. Might weld a vise grip to the slide hammer and see if I can straighten out the fender by pulling on the pinch seams that got pushed in....

Headliner wasn't too bad, pulled it out, paid one of the regulars here to "prep it" by removing all of the old foam and glue, which ended up with him breaking it into 2 pieces :/ Fiberglassed it back together and put the fabric on than reinstalled.
The sun visors were completely destroyed and not worth reusing so I used the ones from that IROC I parted out last summer, definitely not in great shape, but better than what was on there...There was more to it than I originally thought.  Since the roof is different the mounts are also different, so I had to swap those over, but they are a bit larger than what was in there, so I had to kind of ram it in there.  I was still able to get the hold down screw back in so it is tight and works and looks better then what was on there.

This was my 3rd T-top headliner to do and is by far the best job I've done on the corners so far, very pleased with the results :)

I think the project part of this car is almost done so it is probably going to be going up for sale when the weather breaks.
91 Z28 1LE

FlorianGee

Since its a project, I guess you did not opt in for the brand new headliners they make for the F-Bodys, e.g. at Hawks?

And now that its taking shape you are ready to sell it? :o  Whats the next project gonna be?

Did you try those out? Very keen to hear if they work :)
LSx

mcgarnicle

Zitat von: FlorianGee in 10. Mär 18, 21:17
Since its a project, I guess you did not opt in for the brand new headliners they make for the F-Bodys, e.g. at Hawks?

And now that its taking shape you are ready to sell it? :o  Whats the next project gonna be?

Yeah, I was always planning to sell it at some point.  It turned into a much bigger project than I originally was looking for, but ended up being a lot of fun.  I've been debating which F-body should go, this one or my 1LE...I really enjoy driving this one, it's much more comfortable than the 91.  I drove the 91 to the F-body meet last year in Stuttgart and I could barely walk afterwards  :-X  This one I've been driving everyday practically from Erlangen to Hohenfels and it's very enjoyable.  But the 91 is probably one of the nicest 3rd gens I've ever been in and I want to keep it for a while longer  :)

I still really want an E30 touring.  I found an 86 E30 coupe for a good price that I'm considering buying, just with the intention of putting it up for trade for a wagon.

Zitat von: FlorianGee in 10. Mär 18, 21:17

I ordered them and they're here, but I haven't installed them yet.  I think this week I'll try and get them in, but going back into the steering column is always something I have to build myself up to do...I really hate going into the column :lechz:

I also sold the Torque Thrust wheels in favor of some Corvette wheels, hoping to have those cleaned up and painted this week.  I'll post some pics of them once they're ready.

Ken
91 Z28 1LE

mcgarnicle

[/quote]

So I finally got around to go back inside the steering column tonight to finish this thing once and for all.  I took the websites advice and ordered 2 pins to make the steering column extra stiff, tore it down, removed the passenger side pin, and no way is the over sized pin going into that hole.  I whacked it a couple of times with a hammer and it wouldn't go in more than 1-2mm.

So feeling pretty discouraged I decided to do my old timey kind of fix and use JB weld to build up some material on the original pin.  While that dried I thought I would try the oversized pin on the drivers side, pulled it out, stuck the new one in and it went in about half way without any persuasion.  So I beat it all the way in with a hammer, and that immediately fixed the issue.  I wiped the JB weld off of the other pin and stuck it back in its hole and put the column back together.

It is waaay better then the first fix I did, the column has very very little if any play in it now.

So I have an extra oversized pin if anyone wants it.  website sells them for 18 dollars I'll do 10 euros, still in its wrapper.
91 Z28 1LE

FlorianGee

Zitat von: mcgarnicle in 01. Mai 18, 21:14
So I have an extra oversized pin if anyone wants it.  website sells them for 18 dollars I'll do 10 euros, still in its wrapper.
Awesome, I'll take it and PM you for details.

Thanks for the report :thumb:
LSx